Thursday, October 27, 2011

Real Perfect

There is this idea that other people have the perfect family, perfect husband, perfect kids, they have it all. They never say or do things that are unchristian like, they are always put together, blah, blah, blah...BLAH, BLAH! (insert smile here) I know we can all think of one or two ladies that seem to "have it all." Right? Moms seem to be the harshest critics, and it's not on others, but themselves. We compare, compare, compare! It is no wonder with everything we have from facebook to blogging. We have found a way to get a small glimpse into others' lives. We seem to think that from a picture or quote they are better than we are. Life seems to be this competition of who can be the most creative, best room mom, or the most fashionable while being a great, no I mean, best wife and mother to her family. There is this idea that other moms do it better than we do. Why are we so hard on ourselves?!
I am not exactly sure. One minute I can feel so right with God and then the next feel worthless because I messed up again. There are daily struggles that we must face and when we add in the comparing ourselves, we fall apart and think we are no good. God tells us in Proverbs that a heart of peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones. I believe it. Anytime I start thinking about my mistakes I feel worthless and unlovable. Any insecurities that harbor inside are brought to the surface by the enemy.
Grabbing onto God's word of His love for me is what snaps me out of these false feelings. The reality of things is that EVERYONE has baggage. EVERYONE! Even if their facebooks don't say it, they do. God made us perfect in His image and we must humbly accept that. If something causes you to feel bad about yourself then build a boundary or just get rid of it all together. It's not others that have the issue, unfortunately it is us. We have to protect our mind and souls from things that cause us to stumble. If a television show is allowing you to lust for a better body, or more money...shut it off! It is not easy, just worth it.
I write this to share that I am a major mess when it comes to comparing my life with others. I am jealous over things I don't have and show ungratefulness for the things I do. It brings me down and affects my most important relationships, which is with my husband and my children. We are unable to show pure love when we are wrapped up into ourselves and not into others. I hope you don't feel alone and aren't afraid to step out to share your true thoughts with God and a friend, and remove things that only make it worse. Be "perfect" in sharing your weaknesses in order to bring others up.

2 Corinthians 12:8-9, Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.9 But he said to me,"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so Christ's power may rest on me.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Tara!! Thanks for being so open and honest. Really good reminders. =)

    ReplyDelete